Mercuria CFO's interview with EuroTreasurer - "We Have Seen a Flight to Quality"
The CFO of Mercuria Energy, Guillaume Vermersch, describes his financing plans for the Swiss commodity trader and the search for strategic partners
»»Now that the July financing deal is done, what projects are up next?
««We successfully renewed our European revolving credit facility in July for $1.8 billion. Very soon we will be back on the market and looking to renew our $800 million Asian revolving facility, which is denominated in both dollars and offshore renminbi. We really want to diversify our sources of funding. The bank market is the natural choice for financing our activities and we continue to grow the number of our relationships, now with more than 100 banks. We are also developing and fine-tuning our access to the debt capital market (DCM) and were also recently able to secure a private placement with US insurance companies.
»»Do you feel like bank funding is becoming more difficult to obtain?
««We have seen a flight to quality. Basically, the good and strong tier 1 credits, such as Mercuria, have had the benefit of additional support and credit lines brought by the same banks that reduced their balance sheets during the crisis. My only explanation for that is that banks have probably ended tier 2 and 3 credit relationships to refocus on tier 1 companies like us.
»»Why isn’t Mercuria planning an IPO right now?
««We are a relatively young company compared to many of our peers. I think that we have achieved in ten years’ time what it has taken some others 20 or more years to do. We definitely have more room for building and expanding strategic partnerships, which we will do to keep growing before we even begin to approach the public equity market more formally through an IPO. I don’t envision us going for an IPO in the medium term. Maybe one day, but it’s not in the pipeline yet.
»»How far along are you in the search for strategic partners?
««I’m sorry, but that is confidential information. First of all, we think there are mutual and long-term value creation and growth potential for Mercuria and its strategic partners in building a common equity relationship. From an initial list of 15 companies representing different sectors that have expressed strong interest in joining Mercuria’s equity, we have whittled it down to four. And with some of them, we are already quite far along in our discussions. These strategic partners will give our business additional support, while we will contribute to their business systems. This potential portfolio of strategic partners will represent around 20% of our equity. This is all progressing extremely well and is a very exciting and promising development for the company. It is opening many new horizons for us and new growth potential for all of the parties involved. We may eventually have something to disclose between the end of 2013 and the first half of 2014.
- Compelling results for blockchain oil-trade test ING, Société Générale, and Mercuria22.02.2017
- TRANSGLOBE ENERGY CORPORATION announces execution of prepayment agreement and marketing contract10.02.2017
- Pin Oak Holdings announces it has closed on a $100 million equity investment led by Dauphine Midstream and Mercuria Energy05.12.2016
- Mercuria Exports U.S. Energy to New Markets26.09.2016
- Mercuria Energy Trading SA successfully closed a USD 2.2 Billion Multi-Currency Revolving Credit Facility10.06.2016
- Mercuria to provide direct and sponsored access liquidity to Nasdaq Commodities European Power and Gas Markets11.05.2016
- Mercuria Energy Acquires Rocky Mountain Crude Business Unit from Enterprise Crude Oil LLC17.02.2016
- Mercuria welcomes Strategic Investment by ChemChina18.01.2016
- Minerva Bunkers starts physical supply operations offshore West Africa07.01.2016
- Mercuria Announces Strategic Investment from China Materials Storage and Transportation Development (CMSTD) to Expand Henry Bath Warehousing Business05.01.2016
- Mercuria Signs Asia USD 1.1 billion Revolving Credit Facilities 19.11.2015
- Mercuria Energy Group Ltd Announces Exclusive Agreement with Forte Oil Plc09.10.2015
- Mercuria Energy Closes Multicurrency Revolving Credit Facilities at USD 2.5 Billion22.06.2015
- Mercuria trades the first lots of German base load on CME Europe18.06.2015
- CITI fails in China metals claim against MERCURIA22.05.2015
- Mercuria Announces Expansion to Minerva Maritime Fuel Business12.03.2015
- Mercuria Hires More Than 40 Marine Fuel Specialists from OW Bunker15.12.2014
- Mercuria Signs Asia $1.0 Billion USD Revolving Credit Facilities18.11.2014
- Mercuria Closes Acquisition of J.P. Morgan Chase Physical Commodities Business03.10.2014
- Mercuria Announces U.K. Financial Conduct Authority Authorization22.09.2014
- Mercuria forms partnership with Pemex08.08.2014
- MERCURIA ENERGY TRADING SA successfully renewed and increased a USD 2.65 BILLION Multi-Currency Revolving Credit Facility26.06.2014
- Mercuria Announces Acquisition of J.P. Morgan Physical Commodities Business19.03.2014
- Mercuria Signs its Asian USD 1.0 Billion Revolving Credit Facilities28.11.2013
- Mercuria CFO's interview with EuroTreasurer - "We Have Seen a Flight to Quality"29.10.2013
- Mercuria CFO im FINANCE MAGAZINE - Interview09.10.2013
- Mercuria Invests $50m in Amromco Energy24.09.2013
- Mercuria successfully raises USD 1,800,000,000 Revolving Credit Facility02.07.2013
- Success of the Second FT Global Commodities Summit29.04.2013
- Mercuria Interview with Le Temps27.04.2013
- Mercuria Participates in a Pioneer CDM Project in West Africa26.03.2013
- Mercuria Partners with KW Express to Construct Crude by Rail Project in Houston22.02.2013
- FT Global Commodities Summit 201320.11.2012
- Announcement of New Senior Executive01.11.2012
- Mercuria Announces a New USD 700,000,000 Uncommitted Secured Borrowing Base Financing30.10.2012
- Mercuria Advances Asian Hard Commodities Strategy18.10.2012
- Mercuria and Sinopec Kantos Establish a New International Partnership in Liquid Bulk Storage15.10.2012
- Mercuria Strengthens its Growing Presence in China 18.07.2012
- Mercuria Grows its Global Metals Trading Business17.07.2012
- Mercuria Energy Successfully Raises USD 1,700,000,000 and EUR 145,000,00001.06.2012
- Mercuria Advances into Global Metals Markets03.05.2012
- Certified Emission Reductions: Mercuria Participated in Record Transaction19.04.2012
- Mercuria sponsors the first Financial Times Global Commodities Summit15.03.2012
- Mercuria interview with Reuters01.02.2012
- Mercuria Sponsors the First Financial Times Global Commodities Summit16.01.2012
- Mercuria Energy Group Ltd Signs a USD 755 Million Syndicated Revolving Credit Facility in Asia07.12.2011
- Mercuria US Coal Financing and Investment06.10.2011
- Formation of a Joint Venture by Mercuria and Datang24.08.2011
- Mercuria Energy Group, Anchor Investor in IFC's Now Active Carbon Credit Fund03.06.2011
- Mercuria to Participate in IFC's Carbon Credit Fund02.02.2011
- Mercuria Signs a USD 500 Million Syndicated Revolving Credit Facility in Asia15.12.2010
- Mercuria Energy Group Acquires Strategic Coal Concession in Indonesia16.11.2010
- Mercuria Energy Group Makes Strategic Carbon Business Acquisition03.11.2010
- Mercuria Enters Into a Strategic Coal Marketing Alliance with Optimum Coal of South Africa03.11.2010
- Strong Demand Leads Mercuria Energy Trading to Increase its New Revolving Credit Facility to USD 1,250,000,00014.06.2010
- Mercuria's Dutch Affiliate Laid The Foundation Stone For Vesta Biofuels Amsterdam05.03.2010
- Mercuria Seeks Oil Tanks, Coal Mines in US Drive03.03.2010
- ECT Arbitration Mercuria Energy Group LTD V. The Republic of Poland: The Arbitral Tribunal Confirms That It Has Jurisdiction26.01.2010