Mercuria interview with Reuters
Brent over $100 unless OPEC boosts output
LONDON, Dec 1 (Reuters) - Brent crude oil is likely to stay above $100 per barrel well into next year unless OPEC decides to increase production, the head of one of the world's biggest energy trading companies said on Thursday.
Marco Dunand, chief executive of Mercuria Energy Trading, said world oil supplies were tight and this would probably keep prompt prices for North Sea Brent above forward barrels with the market in backwardation for the foreseeable future.
"We see $100 as a floor for Brent going into next year unless OPEC decides to change their policy and supply extra barrels to the market," Dunand told Reuters in an interview.
"We anticipate a situation where the market will remain reasonably tight for a while."
Oil ministers of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries meet in Vienna on Dec. 14 to review output. Industry analysts say a cut in output is unlikely to find support among most Gulf Arab OPEC members while oil prices remain strong.
Brent futures for January traded on Thursday around $109 per barrel, close to their average price so far this year.
Dunand said a major geopolitical shock, such as a war between Iran and the west which could close the Hormuz Strait in the Middle East Gulf, could push prices up very sharply.
"With the situation in the Middle East, there are risks to the upside," Dunand said. "The market has already started pricing in some sort of Iranian tension or conflict, but obviously the market would have a long way to go if there was a serious conflict.
"If there were to be a general conflict and the Strait of Hormuz were to be closed, not something we are expecting, it wouldn't be unrealistic to see the market to go to $130 or $150 per barrel. But I see the chance of that being reasonably low."
Headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, Mercuria is one of the top five energy traders with a turnover of around $75 billion, moving almost 120 million tonnes of oil, coal and gas a year.
Dunand and Mercuria co-founder Daniel Jaeggi, both Swiss, are influential figures in the global energy market with stakes in oilfields in Argentina and Canada, coal mines in Kalimantan in Indonesia and oil trading units in Singapore, Houston and across Europe.
Dunand said the United States was better-supplied with oil than many other parts of the world and this should keep the futures price curve for U.S. crude , known as West Texas Intermediate or WTI, close to flat for the next few months.
Recent tightness in WTI nearby futures months, which has kept much of the U.S. crude oil futures curve in backwardation for the last few weeks, was not likely to last, he said.
"There is no justification for strong backwardation in WTI given the level of oil production in North America and the level of stocks right now," he said. "We anticipate the WTI structure to be reasonably close to flat for some months."
But Brent was much stronger.
"Brent is a different animal. North Sea production has been in decline for a while, (Russian) Urals exports into Europe are also in decline, so the market is moving into a deficit from a surplus. In order to attract the barrels into a low stock environment, you have to have backwardation," he said.
"I am expecting the Brent backwardation to soften a bit in the second quarter of next year. I expect backwardation for Brent to stay for the foreseeable future, but maybe not as strong as it has been."
Dunand said Brent should thus stay at a premium to U.S. crude but the spread between the two crude benchmarks was volatile and even quite small changes in the balance between the two markets could move the differential.
A market is said to be in backwardation when nearby prices are at a premium to later, forward contracts.
U.S. crude futures traded at a discount of around $9.10 per barrel below Brent at 1100 GMT on Thursday. The spread hit a record high of more than $28 in October.
"WTI will underperform Brent for a while unless there is a major disruption somewhere. The spread will clearly not stay at the $15 to $20 per barrel (discount for WTI) which we have seen this year," Dunand said.
He said a Brent premium of $5 to $10 was more likely: "I think the spread will eventually settle around that level."
(Reporting by Christopher Johnson ; Editing by Keiron Henderson)
Mercuria raises $1.1 bln, may sell stake next year
LONDON, Dec 1 (Reuters) - Mercuria, one of the world's top energy traders, has raised almost $1.1 billion through a loan facility and the sale of oil and gas assets, beefing up its balance sheet for future growth, its chief executive said on Thursday.
Marco Dunand told Reuters that Mercuria Energy Trading's Singapore unit was about to close the books on a $745 million revolving credit facility (RCF) with 28 banks, 19 of them Asian, in a financing exercise that had been subscribed 1.5 times.
Mercuria separately agreed to sell interests in oil and gas properties in Bakken, North Dakota to Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp , in a deal that would raise $354 million for Mercuria.
Dunand said Mercuria had had approaches from potential investors, including sovereign wealth funds, and might consider selling up to 20 percent of its equity to one or two investors by the end of 2012, but only if it found the right partner.
"We have had approaches from various potential investors including sovereign wealth funds," Dunand said in an interview.
"I don't think the sale of a stake in Mercuria is on the cards right now, but I could see it being possible by the end of next year that we could have one or two investors on board."
Mercuria, founded seven years ago and now with a turnover of around $75 billion, would strengthen its balance sheet with the capital-raising at a time of tightening global credit, and look for opportunities for acquisitions.
"With so much uncertainty around, there is a thought that maybe it is not a bad idea to have good access to cash," he said. "We believe the money raised can be used to buy other things and next year there may be increased opportunities to acquire other assets, although I am not sure where.
"So we are happy to keep our powder dry and have sufficient cash in case it's needed," Dunand said.
Banking sources told Reuters last week Mercuria's two-tranche RCF would attract around 20 banks, with a mix of Asian, Middle Eastern and European institutions.
The RCF is split into two tranches: $535 million for one year and a three-year tranche of $210 million.
Dunand said the total amount raised could eventually exceed $745 million because a 29th bank had come in at the last moment.
"This has exceeded our expectations as we went to market looking to raise an original $500 million," Dunand said. "It is encouraging to see you can raise so much money in this market."
Nineteen of the 28 banks were Asian: "This is a reflection of the world: Europe is shrinking and Asia is growing," he said.
In a statement on Nov. 14, Denver, Colorado-based Kodiak said it would buy properties in the Williston Basin in North Dakota from an undisclosed seller for $590 million in cash and stock to expand its presence in the region.
"The timing and the price was right, and with Kodiak having other properties in the region, we believe they are best placed to reduce production costs considerably there," Dunand said.
Headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, Mercuria, trades across multiple energy markets, moving almost 120 million tonnes of oil, coal and gas a year. It has stakes in oilfields in Argentina and Canada and coal mines in Kalimantan in Indonesia.
But despite its strong growth, Dunand is mindful of the need to maintain a strong financial position.
"European banks are looking to reduce their exposure to trade financing by as much as 25-30 percent. However, Asian banks, particularly Japanese banks, are moving aggressively into that space and they are willing to take over some of the risk."
"As a company, we can't just wait to see what will happen and so are planning accordingly. Assuming that there will be a material contraction in credit markets, which so far has not affected us, we have been preparing ourselves accordingly."
"There will be some opportunities to acquire distressed assets next year somewhere, maybe for example in the shipping market. So we appreciate having a strong balance sheet right now," Dunand said.
(Reporting by Christopher Johnson; Editing by William Hardy)
- Exergyn sets new boundaries in solid-state refrigerant technology.08.09.2023
- American Battery Technology Company and TechMet-Mercuria Initiate Strategic Partnership for Marketing and Sales of Recycled Battery Metal Products22.08.2023
- TechMet closes $200m equity raise to further develop critical minerals operations15.08.2023
- Mercuria joins efforts with ÈTA Shipping towards a sustainable short sea shipping09.08.2023
- Zefiro Methane Corp. Announces Presale of Certified Carbon Credits to Mercuria Energy America, LLC05.07.2023
- MERCURIA ENERGY TRADING SA SUCCESSFULLY CLOSES ITS FIRST EUR 500,000,000 MULTI-CURRENCY ECA COVERED CREDIT FACILITIES AGREEMENT27.06.2023
- MERCURIA ENERGY TRADING SA SUCCESSFULLY CLOSES A NEW USD 1,500,000,000 MULTI-CURRENCY OFF BALANCE SHEET INSTRUMENT FACILITY27.06.2023
- MERCURIA ENERGY TRADING SA SUCCESSFULLY CLOSES OVERSUBSCRIBED USD 3,000,000,000 MULTI-CURRENCY REVOLVING CREDIT FACILITIES27.06.2023
- Mercuria Energy Leads the Way in Voluntary Carbon Credit Sales with Tocantins, Brazil05.06.2023
- Minerva Bunkering Launches Service in the Suez Canal and Egyptian Ports31.05.2023
- Acquisition of additional shares of Nevada Copper Corp. by Mercuria31.05.2023
- Mercuria Announces the Acquisition of Nottingham-Based Roadgas28.04.2023
- Komgo Named Digital Agent On First Borrowing Base In Asia28.04.2023
- Mercuria creates a nature-based investment platform20.03.2023
- ClearFlame Engine Technologies Raises $30 Million In Series B Funding09.03.2023
- ACQUISITION OF ADDITIONAL SHARES OF NEVADA COPPER CORP. BY MERCURIA30.12.2022
- Mercuria successfully closes oversubscribed secured revolving credit facility of US$ 3,400,000,000 in financing for its North American business12.12.2022
- Mercuria Signs Asia $1.393 Billion USD Revolving Credit Facilities29.11.2022
- Chevron to acquire full ownership of Beyond6 CNG fueling network17.11.2022
- Mercuria Invests in Natron Energy’s Sodium-Ion Battery Technology14.11.2022
- Jervois is undertaking a US$150 million equity capital raising in which Mercuria will invest US$10.5 million.09.11.2022
- REEtec raises EUR 115 million for first industrial rare earth plant08.11.2022
- The Mobility House secures EUR 50 million to expand market position in the field of smart charging and Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G)03.11.2022
- Acquisition of additional shares and warrants of Nevada Copper Corp. by Mercuria31.10.2022
- Mercuria Asia Group Holdings (PTE.) LTD Signs New JPY 70.5 billion Facility03.10.2022
- Mercuria Energy Trading SA successfully closes USD 2,177,500,000 multi-currency revolving credit facilities24.06.2022
- ADP Clear Pte Ltd Brings Digital Bunkering to Singapore28.04.2022
- Validere Raises $43MM to Scale Its All-in-One Commodity Management Platform16.03.2022
- VoLo Earth, Frankstahl, Mercuria, and Clean Energy Ventures headline investment in a company disrupting the electric vehicle and critical mineral supply chain16.02.2022
- From the lab to the road: ClearFlame Engine Technologies announces first heavy-duty truck driving on 100% plant-based fuel11.02.2022
- Compute North Closes $385 Million in Strategic Funding for TIER 0™ Computing Infrastructure09.02.2022
- PIN OAK HIRES KEITH CASEY AS CEO, ANNOUNCES NEW EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP TEAM01.02.2022
- Minerva Bunkering Launches New Service in the Red Sea Ports of Yanbu and Jeddah22.12.2021
- Mercuria Signs Asia $1.3 Billion USD Revolving Credit Facilities10.12.2021
- Mercuria successfully closes oversubscribed secured revolving credit facility of US$ 2,200,000,000 in financing for its North American business06.12.2021
- ACQUISITION OF SHARES AND WARRANTS OF NEVADA COPPER CORP. BY MERCURIA 29.11.2021
- Ecoslops announces strategic partnership with Mercuria Energy Group19.10.2021
- Mercuria and CWP Join Forces to build 2GW of renewables in Southeast Europe12.10.2021
- Lilac Solutions Announces $150 Million Series B to Scale Lithium Supply for the Electric Vehicle Era24.09.2021
- Chevron, Mercuria announce CNG fueling network joint venture10.09.2021
- Mercuria's investment accelerates growth of ChargeNet’s New Zealand EV charging network02.09.2021
- Pin Oak Commissions Interconnections with EPIC, Cactus II, and Flint Hills Adding Permian & Eagle Ford Capacity at Taft Terminal27.08.2021
- Mercuria Closes Oversubscribed US$ 2,100,000,000 Revolving Credit Facilities 24.06.2021
- Mercuria Invests in the Future of Technology Metals23.04.2021
- Mercuria and N+P Announce Partnership for Development of New Alternative Fuels 21.04.2021
- Mercuria Invests in Aggregation Technology for Electric Vehicles30.03.2021
- Minerva Bunkering Introduces Carbon Neutral Marine Fuel Offering11.03.2021
- Mercuria Purchases First Carbon Credits for the RGGI Compliance Market08.03.2021
- Mercuria Joins Global Business Leaders to Support ESG Convergence by Committing to Stakeholder Capitalism Metrics27.01.2021
- HC2 Completes Sale of Beyond6 Clean Energy Business to Mercuria19.01.2021
- HC2 Announces Sale of Beyond6 Clean Energy Business for Approximately $169 Million31.12.2020
- Broad Reach Power Acquires Montana Wind and Solar Projects17.12.2020
- Mercuria Closes Oversubscribed Secured Revolving Credit Facility of US$ 1,700,000,000 in Financing for its North American Business24.11.2020
- Mercuria Closes Oversubscribed Revolving Credit Facility of US$ 720,000,000 In Financing for its Asian Business 24.11.2020
- Broad Reach Power Acquires 25-Megawatt/100-Megawatt-Hour Battery Storage Project in California 23.11.2020
- Minerva Bunkering Introduces the Advanced Delivery Platform (ADP)23.11.2020
- Mercuria Asia Group Holdings (PTE.) LTD Signs New JPY 55.5 billion Facility14.09.2020
- Mercuria Closes Oversubscribed US$ 1,500,000,000 Revolving Credit Facility25.06.2020
- Singapore’s Maritime and Port Authority Awards Minerva New Bunkering Licenses21.04.2020
- Minerva Bunkering Acquires CEPSA Panama SA17.12.2019
- Mercuria successfully closes oversubscribed revolving credit facility of US$ 1,200,000,000 in financing for its Asian business25.11.2019
- Mercuria successfully closes oversubscribed secured revolving credit facility of US$ 1,900,000,000 in financing for its North American business20.11.2019
- Pin Oak Secures Interconnection to EPIC and Red Oak Pipelines Commences Construction on a New Crude Oil Hub at Taft01.08.2019
- MERCURIA ENERGY TRADING SA SUCCESSFULLY CLOSES USD 2.25 BILLION MULTI-CURRENCY REVOLVING CREDIT FACILITIES19.06.2019
- Top Commodities Firms and Financial Institutions Seek To Launch Forcefield17.05.2019
- Minerva Bunkering Appoints Tyler Baron as Chief Executive Officer 30.04.2019
- Aegean Marine Petroleum Network Inc. Reorganizes as Minerva Bunkering04.04.2019
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Approves Mercuria Takeover of Aegean Marine Petroleum 01.04.2019
- Mercuria Partnership Pin Oak Acquires Expansion Land in Corpus Christi15.01.2019
- Mercuria successfully closes oversubscribed revolving credit facility of Us$ 1,350,000,000 in financing for its Asian business 27.11.2018
- Canyon Coal, Mercuria Energy Open New Mine in South Africa, Expand Employment Opportunities in the Energy Sector 02.11.2018
- Pin Oak Corpus Christi, LLC Hires Strike, LLC to Construct Pipeline Connectivity28.09.2018
- Pin Oak Holdings, LLC to Sell Mt. Airy Terminal to MPLX LP26.09.2018
- Mercuria Signs Memorandum of Understanding to Support Minnesota’s Mesabi Metallics12.09.2018
- Mercuria Energy Trading SA successfully closes USD 2.4 Billion Multi-Currency revolving credit facilities29.06.2018
- Mercuria Founders Discuss American Job Creation and Investment with U.S. Ambassador to Switzerland Ed McMullen26.04.2018
- ChemChina and Mercuria Expand Partnership and Increase Investment16.04.2018
- Mercuria Completes Purchase of Noble Americas South Bend Ethanol, Changes Name to South Bend Ethanol, Will Invest $30 Million to Realize the Full Plant Capacity and Support the Local Community10.01.2018
- Mercuria Signs USD 1 Billion in Financing for its Asian Business30.11.2017
- Mercuria, Can-China Global Resource Fund, and MIE Holdings Announce Completion of Acquisition of CQ Energy Canada Partnership – A Canadian E&P Business04.10.2017
- Pin Oak Terminals Opens Multi-Product Liquid Marine Terminal, Following Key Investment from Mercuria16.08.2017
- Mercuria and Andes Energia Partner on Argentina E&P to Create Phoenix Global Resources10.08.2017
- Andes Energia PLC announces conditional combination with Trefoil Holdings, holding company of PETSA24.07.2017
- Mercuria Energy Trading SA successfully closes USD 2.0 Billion Multi-Currency Revolving Credit Facilities19.06.2017
- Centrica agrees the sale of its Canadian E&P business to Mercuria and Can-China09.06.2017
- Mercuria worked with two key financing partners, ING & SMBC, on Pin Oak Terminals financing project in U.S.25.04.2017
- Compelling results for blockchain oil-trade test ING, Société Générale, and Mercuria22.02.2017
- TRANSGLOBE ENERGY CORPORATION announces execution of prepayment agreement and marketing contract10.02.2017
- Pin Oak Holdings announces it has closed on a $100 million equity investment led by Dauphine Midstream and Mercuria Energy05.12.2016
- Mercuria Exports U.S. Energy to New Markets26.09.2016
- Mercuria Energy Trading SA successfully closed a USD 2.2 Billion Multi-Currency Revolving Credit Facility10.06.2016
- Mercuria to provide direct and sponsored access liquidity to Nasdaq Commodities European Power and Gas Markets11.05.2016
- Mercuria Energy Acquires Rocky Mountain Crude Business Unit from Enterprise Crude Oil LLC17.02.2016
- Mercuria welcomes Strategic Investment by ChemChina18.01.2016
- Minerva Bunkers starts physical supply operations offshore West Africa07.01.2016
- Mercuria Announces Strategic Investment from China Materials Storage and Transportation Development (CMSTD) to Expand Henry Bath Warehousing Business05.01.2016
- Mercuria Signs Asia USD 1.1 billion Revolving Credit Facilities 19.11.2015
- Mercuria Energy Group Ltd Announces Exclusive Agreement with Forte Oil Plc09.10.2015
- Mercuria Energy Closes Multicurrency Revolving Credit Facilities at USD 2.5 Billion22.06.2015
- Mercuria trades the first lots of German base load on CME Europe18.06.2015
- CITI fails in China metals claim against MERCURIA22.05.2015
- Mercuria Announces Expansion to Minerva Maritime Fuel Business12.03.2015
- Mercuria Hires More Than 40 Marine Fuel Specialists from OW Bunker15.12.2014
- Mercuria Signs Asia $1.0 Billion USD Revolving Credit Facilities18.11.2014
- Mercuria Closes Acquisition of J.P. Morgan Chase Physical Commodities Business03.10.2014
- Mercuria Announces U.K. Financial Conduct Authority Authorization22.09.2014
- Mercuria forms partnership with Pemex08.08.2014
- MERCURIA ENERGY TRADING SA successfully renewed and increased a USD 2.65 BILLION Multi-Currency Revolving Credit Facility26.06.2014
- Mercuria Announces Acquisition of J.P. Morgan Physical Commodities Business19.03.2014
- Mercuria Signs its Asian USD 1.0 Billion Revolving Credit Facilities28.11.2013
- Mercuria CFO's interview with EuroTreasurer - "We Have Seen a Flight to Quality"29.10.2013
- Mercuria CFO im FINANCE MAGAZINE - Interview09.10.2013
- Mercuria Invests $50m in Amromco Energy24.09.2013
- Mercuria successfully raises USD 1,800,000,000 Revolving Credit Facility02.07.2013
- Success of the Second FT Global Commodities Summit29.04.2013
- Mercuria Interview with Le Temps27.04.2013
- Mercuria Participates in a Pioneer CDM Project in West Africa26.03.2013
- Mercuria Partners with KW Express to Construct Crude by Rail Project in Houston22.02.2013
- FT Global Commodities Summit 201320.11.2012
- Mercuria Announces a New USD 700,000,000 Uncommitted Secured Borrowing Base Financing30.10.2012
- Mercuria Advances Asian Hard Commodities Strategy18.10.2012
- Mercuria and Sinopec Kantos Establish a New International Partnership in Liquid Bulk Storage15.10.2012
- Mercuria Strengthens its Growing Presence in China 18.07.2012
- Mercuria Grows its Global Metals Trading Business17.07.2012
- Mercuria Energy Successfully Raises USD 1,700,000,000 and EUR 145,000,00001.06.2012
- Mercuria Advances into Global Metals Markets03.05.2012
- Certified Emission Reductions: Mercuria Participated in Record Transaction19.04.2012
- Mercuria sponsors the first Financial Times Global Commodities Summit15.03.2012
- Mercuria interview with Reuters01.02.2012
- Mercuria Sponsors the First Financial Times Global Commodities Summit16.01.2012
- Mercuria Energy Group Ltd Signs a USD 755 Million Syndicated Revolving Credit Facility in Asia07.12.2011
- Mercuria US Coal Financing and Investment06.10.2011
- Formation of a Joint Venture by Mercuria and Datang24.08.2011
- Mercuria Energy Group, Anchor Investor in IFC's Now Active Carbon Credit Fund03.06.2011
- Mercuria to Participate in IFC's Carbon Credit Fund02.02.2011
- Mercuria Signs a USD 500 Million Syndicated Revolving Credit Facility in Asia15.12.2010
- Mercuria Energy Group Acquires Strategic Coal Concession in Indonesia16.11.2010
- Mercuria Enters Into a Strategic Coal Marketing Alliance with Optimum Coal of South Africa03.11.2010
- Mercuria Energy Group Makes Strategic Carbon Business Acquisition03.11.2010
- Strong Demand Leads Mercuria Energy Trading to Increase its New Revolving Credit Facility to USD 1,250,000,00014.06.2010
- Mercuria's Dutch Affiliate Laid The Foundation Stone For Vesta Biofuels Amsterdam05.03.2010
- Mercuria Seeks Oil Tanks, Coal Mines in US Drive03.03.2010
- ECT Arbitration Mercuria Energy Group LTD V. The Republic of Poland: The Arbitral Tribunal Confirms That It Has Jurisdiction26.01.2010